"Professional service accompanied by a sensitive, individual approach, anything I didn't understand was explained in a non-patronizing way." ---"Thank you for your fantastic expertise and professionalism. Not only have you seen me through a really tough period in my life and made sure I got the best out of the situation, but you have been most empathetic of my individual needs and anxieties. I have made it through the rollercoaster ride and come out smiling and stronger than ever, thanks to your support and hard work. Many many thanks!"--- "We very much appreciate all your help in guiding us through this application and for your sensitive and thorough handling of the matter"--- " Matthew Sterling is a credit to the company. At all times he made me feel at ease and listened carefully and most of all gave me the best advice"--- "Many thanks for your help in achieving this divorce. It feels great that this is all over and done with....once again, many thanks"--- " Matthew was very helpful and informative throughout." --- “I do appreciate all your efforts in seeking the best outcome for myself. You have a lovely calm, thorough manner which is very reassuring.”--- "On our initial appointment Matthew was very thorough in noting all my comments."

If you and your partner separate it is important to seek legal advice from experienced solicitors at an early stage. Our divorce specialist, Matthew Sterling, can provide the expert legal advice you require.

Matthew has a wealth of specialist experience advising clients and negotiating on their behalf, to ensure a resolution in difficult circumstances. We will discuss your family situation with you and give you objective advice on the law, how to resolve the issues and the costs involved.

Our solicitors can assist you with:

Divorce and Dissolution of Civil Partnership

The legal process by which a marriage or civil partnership comes to an end.  To obtain a divorce you must demonstrate that your marriage has irretrievably broken down by proving one of the following facts:

  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Adultery
  • Desertion for a period of 2 years or more
  • 2 years separation with the other person’s consent
  • 5 years separation without consent

To dissolve your civil partnership the facts are the same except that adultery is excluded.

Domestic Abuse & Harassment

If you are in an abusive relationship there are various orders that the court can make to protect you and any children in your family. For example, the court can make a Non-Molestation order preventing your ex-partner from continuing to harass or threaten you, or from coming within a certain distance of you or your home. If your partner is abusive and refuses to leave the family home the court can make an Occupation Order, requiring them to leave. It is important you contact the police for assistance if you feel there is any immediate threat to you or your children’s safety.

We also provide advice on:
Separation Agreements, Pre and Post-nuptial Agreements, Financial Issues and
Disputes about Children.

Why choose Arnold Greenwood as your divorce solicitors?

Specialist family lawyer - the only Resolution Accredited specialist in Pensions on Divorce in South Lakeland

Complimentary half hour initial consultation

Evening appointments up to 7pm

Fixed fee divorces and other services

Please contact us for more information, or click here for details of our different Divorce and Separation levels of service.


Do you have a will or need it updating?
We provide support from writing to executing a will. Click here to find out more

matthew sterling

To arrange a free no obligation initial consultation please call Matthew Sterling on 01539 720049 or complete the form below.

Your name
Please type your full name.

Your email
Invalid email address.

Please provide your contact telephone number

Invalid Input

Please type the characters shown
Please type the characters shown
  RefreshInvalid Input